- Morgantown is consistently ranked in the top 10 small cities in America by a variety of publications.
- Morgantown has a strategic location: with 50% of the U.S. Customers and 30% of Canadian customers located within 500 miles.
- We have good interstate highway, air, rail, and water transportation to link businesses with major markets. Also there is airport expansion in the works.
- State of the art telecommunications network including fiber optic lines and high capacity digital switching facilities connect our area.
- West Virginia University, the state land grant college, is the center for graduate and professional education in the state and one of the top 100 research universities in the nation. WVU is also a member of the Big XII Athletic Conference.
- Morgantown’s superior quality of life blends small town values and friendliness with the educational, service and cultural amenities of a big city.
Business/ Economic Development Sites
For statistical information about the Morgantown area and Monongalia County, visit the Morgantown Area Economic Partnership and read the Community Profile.
- Main Street Morgantown – www.downtownmorgantown.com
- Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce – www.mgnchamber.org
- Morgantown Area Economic Partnership – www.morgantown.org
- Mon County Commission – www.co.monongalia.wv.us
- Preston County Chamber of Commerce – www.prestonchamber.com
- Preston County Economic Development Agency – www.prestonwv.com
Education Information Sites
Monongalia County Schools, the source of public eduation, has parents and the business community working together in partnership to maintain and improve the high quality educational programs needed to prepare students for today’s and future employment. Students consistently rank higher than the national average on SAT and ACT scores. The public schools provide special, vocational, adult and traditional education to the populace of Monongalia County.
- West Virginia University – www.wvu.edu
- Monongalia County Schools – boe.mono.k12.wv.us
- Preston County Board of Education – www.prestonboe.com
Health Care Sites
Health care facilities include a general hospital, teaching hospital, cancer research center, trauma center, cardiac center, psyhicatric hospital, rehabilitation hospital and numerous ancillary services.
- Cheat Lake Urgent Care www.cheatlakeurgentcare.com
- Medexpress Urgent Care www.medexpress.com
- Mon General Hospital www.mongeneral.com
- Preston Memorial Hospital www.prestonmemorial.org
- Ruby Memorial Hospital www.health.wvu.edu
- Wedgewood Family Practice After Hours Walk-in Clinic www.wedgewood-fp.com
- Women’s Health Care of Morgantown whcofmorgantown.com
- WVU Children’s Hospital wvuhealthcare.com/wvuh
Recreation and Entertainment Sites
Recreation/leisure activities are many and varied. The city of Morgantown has 6 parks, 2 pools, baseball and softball fields, tennis courts and much more for all ages. Just east of the city is Cheat Lake, an 1800 acre body of water that is ideal for swimming and boating. Close to the lake is Cooper’s Rock State Forest where one can view nature from a scenic overlook, hike, fish, hunt, picnic and just relax.
The Morgantown area enjoys a unique balance of cultural events. West Virginia University’s College of Creative Arts and the Monongalia Arts Center are just two of the groups providing events for all ages all year around.
- Arts Monongahela – www.artsmon.org
- BOPARC (Parks and Recreation) – www.boparc.org
- Coopers Rock State Forest – www.coopersrockstateforest.com
- Friends of the Cheat – www.cheat.org
- Mylan Park www.mylanpark.org
- Morgantown DIY outdoors www.wvu.edu/~diyoutdoors
- Mon River Trails Conservancy – www.montrails.org
- WV Department of Natural Resourcest – www.wvdnr.gov
- West Virginia Public Theatre – www.wvpublictheatre.org
Travel and Tourism Sites
Morgantown offers a variety of attractions for new and previous visitors. With exquisit dining, dynamix nightlife, and an historic hometown feel, Morgantown is a place that many flock to the area to experience.
- The Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau – www.tourmorgantown.com
- West Virginia Division of Tourism – www.wvtourism.com/default.aspx
- Mountaineer Country Tours, LLC – www.mountaineercountrytours.com
- City of Morgantown – www.morgantown.com
- Dominion Post Newspaper – www.dominionpost.com
- Morgantown Realtors – www.morgantownrealtors.org
- Morgantown Community Newcomers Club – www.morgantownnewcomers.com
- Preston County Commission – www.prestoncountywv.org
- North Central Byways of West Virginia – www.wvscenicbyways.org
- WVU Off-Campus Housing – studentlife.wvu.edu/off_campus_housing